Tuesday 19 May 2009

YOU WIN SOME, YOU LOSE SOME

Much excitement today when I answered the phone to hear I'd been selected to receive £15,000 worth of home improvements due to the recession. I haven't been so lucky since I won a holiday to Barbados in the same way, which somehow turned into be a packet of seeds.

While I pondered this news, the lovely Ronnie explained that his company had managed to save so much money by not advertising in the media, that they had surplus stocks - hence my lucky selection today. Since I had a break in my non-hectic schedule I decided to play 'Beat the Salesman'.

"If you were to go ahead with these improvements, what would you spend the money on? How about new windows? How old are your windows?" he asked.
"Brand new" I told him.
What about your front door"
"Brand new. Freshly painted in Farrow & Ball French Grey".
"Conservatory?"
"No thanks".
By now I realised the 'surplus stocks' were anything made of UPVC and he was rapidly running out of options.
"How about a porch? Have you got a porch?" he ventured.
"No - I've got a Ford Ka" I said.

With that he muttered something about a 'waste of time' and put the phone down. Probably not going to win Salesman of the Year, but it's a tough job and someone's got to do it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------